Thursday, June 22, 2006

Thanking God for my mother-in-law

Ya know...I have to say I'm really blessed here. I know there are so many women out there who have a monster-in-law instead of a mother-in-law. My MIL is truly a blessing. Let me count the ways:

1. She is a godly, God-fear woman. She is not perfect but, she loves her family and will do anything for them. Including me. Not many woman can say that about their MIL.

2. She lives far away. Now before you laugh, let me explain. As much as I love and appreciate her, she can be a little overbearing in person and she talks and gives "advice" a lot. So I love the fact that we can talk on the phone and she doesn't see my eyes rolling or hear my giggling (away from the reciever, of course!)

3. This woman LOVES to shop. Specifically for her grandkids. My girls are her only grandbabies and they - yes all THREE of them get spoiled to death by their "grandma in the States" as they lovingly refer to her. They have no shortage of clothes, shoes for every season and occasion, and dresses for church. I just spoke with her not too long ago and she just had a mini shopping spree for the baby. All I have to say is with all the blue she just bought I really hope this child really is a boy. :-) She wants me to fax her a list of things I need to take back with her to the store. My own mother would *never* do that! This kid will be lucky if he gets an outfit from my mom.

4. She remembers my children's birthdays. She sends them cards, gifts and or money without fail. She is the first to call on their birthdays. I can't say the same for my own mom.

5. She remembers my birthday, our wedding anniversary, mother's day. She tends to gift me with stuff she may think I like (she has pretty good taste!) and at least $100 bucks!

6. She actually likes, loves and appreciates me. She never fails to tell me what a good job I'm doing as a mother. She's not one of those mothers who see their children as infallible, in fact, she is more apt to take my side over my hubby - who is her only son, lol.

7. She is just an all around good person. Again, she is no saint, but she has a good, generous heart and she really loves the Lord, and always encourages me to do the same.

8. Last but, not least is she PRAYS for us. She lifts me, hubby and my kids up before the throne of God in prayer regularly ~ probably daily. That is truly the best gift she could ever give us.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only woman who loves her MIL! Mine is fabulous, wonderful - she lives an hour away, and we see them monthly, at the least. My kids love her dearly, and always come home from there with something... After our first child was born, anytime they saw us they brought formula & diapers (I only nursed for 2 months before I lost my milk supply, & at that time didn't know how to revive it - nursed 13 1/2 months with #2!!!) as well as clothes & anything else they thought the baby would need. They did the same with #2, our last child... though since I nursed, it was always diapers & wipes.

I wouldn't want another MIL, she is the godliest woman I know, & I am so blessed that she is mine! :-)

(neither of my sisters have been nearly as blessed, and they remind me of that often...)

Kelly said...

I cannot even remember how I found this post, but it is lovely. I have been a MIL for a little over a year and I desire to follow the example of godly women like your MIL.Thanks for posting the ways she has loved and cared for you.

I have a wonderful daughter-in-love and want to be the best MIL possible to her.