Monday, July 10, 2006

Baby Names (again)

So it came to pass in the process of time that Hannah conceived and bore a son, and called his name Samuel, saying "Becuase I have asked for him from the Lord." 1 Samuel 1:20

SAMUEL: meaning either "name of God" or "God has heard"

I've been thinking again about the name Samuel. I have been thinking about the fact that it is such a strong yet, gentle sounding name. It evokes an image of a cute little boy with curly hair and big eyes. Samuel can be for any race. Samuel can be shortend to Sam or Sammy for a cute pet name (by mommy only!). It's not trendy. At least it's not trendy yet...

Aaah...but, not many people are feelin' me on this name. I don't know why it is so important to me for other folks to love my kids name...well actually I'll still name him what I want, regardless of what people say. I asked God for this child. And after the Lord blessed me with this pregnancy, two days after I found out, I began spotting...It was my birthday. Rohan and I were just about to head out to dinner. I begged God. I pleaded with Him in the bathroom. I said something to the effect of if God allowed this pregnancy to continue I PROMISE to follow Him. I believe I also vowed to raise this child for Him. I haven't spotted a drop since. So that, as you can see, is the significance of the name Samuel. When I dreamed up this name, and then found it in the Bible and saw that Hannah, who had pleaded with the Lord for a child, named her son Samuel it was like Bingo! It seemed as though the Lord was showing me an example.

Yes, I know I have 3 other children, however, I had recently lost a pregnancy in October...it was devestating and nearly drove me litteraly insane. So for November, December and then finally January when I finally found out that I was pregnant again I was begging the Lord to bless my womb just once more...and He did!!! Praise God!

Wow...this was waaaay longer than I meant it to be, LOL!

2 comments:

Sraikh said...

I am also trying to find names. My other three kids all have names starting with A. I didnt want a A name for my son but dh wanted it so I gave him a middle name and call him by that. As does everyone else..LOL

Anonymous said...

I really like the name Samuel. It is such a friendly name. We named our son Jonathan (God's gracious gift) and after his late grandfather Frank (freedom). For me his name means: God's gracious gift of freedom! Beautiful, isn't it?