Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Importance of Doing Good

The Bible is clear on the fact that we are not saved by our works. This is a truth that is drummed into my head quite regularly. However, during personal Bible study I have realized that God wants us to do good. Good works is somewhat of a manifestation of our faith. We are to delight in doing the will of God. Psalm 119 says over and over how he delights in God's law and His statutes.

Verses that spring to mind:

"Come, you children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who is the man who desires life,
and loves many days that he may see good?
Keep your tongue from evil,
And your lips from speaking deceit.
depart from evil and do good
Seek peace and pursue it." Psalm 34:11-14

"Depart from evil, and do good:
And dwell forevermore." Psalm 37:27

"And let us not grow weary while doing good,
for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.
Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all,
especially to those who are the household of faith." Gal. 6:9,10

It just causes me to remember that though I am a sinner, God has forgiven and covered me with His grace and mercy. It is my joy and privilege to do good to others, that God's glory might be revealed. A pleasant benefit of doing good, beside the fact that it pleases the Lord, is that when we do good, God blesses us!

Isn't God good?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:)