Sunday, July 09, 2006

Walking the Narrow Path

Psalm 119:9 says:
“How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word.”

Walking the narrow path is a difficult path to follow but it is a path we are called to walk as believers in Jesus Christ. Why though is it so difficult? I feel that through God’s gracious forgiveness we are to be compelled to walk in the Saviour’s steps.

Sometimes when life gets hard and things don’t go my way, it is so easy to get sidetracked. It is so easy for me to slip and feel tempted to go off the path and do my own thing. This culture in which we live promotes doing our own thing - whatever that entails. If it feels good, then do it! If my “gut” is telling me to do a particular thing, then is must be right…right?

Personal experience and some extremely hard lessons have taught me that this is not always the case. I have learned that there is only One in whom I can put my trust. There in only One who has my best interest at heart. Only God who created me knows my struggles and knows how difficult it is to stay on that narrow, good path. Praise be to God, that Christ came and walked to the walk and took on my sins. He was tempted in every way. He overcame. Hallelujah!!! He allowed himself to be bruised for my iniquities. He condemned sin in the flesh. I have no excuse.

When I constantly keep God as the focus, His love, His forgiveness, His grace and mercy it is easy to keep on the path. The bible says that “the Lord is righteous in all His ways, gracious in all His works” (Psalm 145:17). Isn’t that so comforting? However, the moment I take my eyes off Him is the moment I start to veer off the path and things get out of control. I have a found a gem of a verse in the bible that reminds me that when “the walk” starts getting difficult that it really needn’t be. In Micah 6:8 it is written: “He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?” For me, this verse is somewhat of a self-check. Am I doing these things? Am I walking humbly with God? Or am I rushing ahead, trying to find my own solutions to my problems, instead of waiting upon the Lord?

For me I have found that I must possess an acute distrust of self. I must be in prayer about everything. Maybe one day I’ll be strong enough in my faith and simple day to day temptations won’t seem like insurmountable trials. Dying to self may become easier. Maybe not. However, for now, I must make the conscious decision everyday to live for God and to keep my eyes on Him. I know that He loves me and He will not fail me.

Hebrews 12:2 says:
“looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

Be encouraged! God has overcome the evil one. He is coming back soon, to claim his sheep. His lovingkindness, His sovereignty and His enduring righteousness will be proven at the last day!!! Cling to Jesus, do good, and wait patiently for His return.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I love that verse from Micah too. In fact, it's only the profile for my blog.

Anne said...

oops, I meant "on the profile" not "only"